Yes, absolutely. In today’s day and age in the technology world, hackers and thieves are getting increasingly better at accessing cell phone user’s information. As more new technology is being released, there are people who are learning how to get access to the newer models. With such clever tactics, it’s quite possible for a thief to break through and gain access to this information, even with the iPhone Lost Mode feature enabled.
That said, there are a variety of ways for them to do so, which this article will talk more about, as well as share how to unlock iPhone lost mode.
Part 1. What is Lost Mode on iPhone?
Lost mode is a feature that can be found on Apple devices such as iPhone’s, iPad’s, Apple Watches, Mac’s, and even iPod Touches. This feature comes in handy in situations when an Apple user’s device gets lost or stolen, and it protects one’s personal information from being accessed.
Part 2. Can Someone Unlock My iPhone in Lost Mode?
Yes, someone can in fact unlock an iPhone, even with a passcode set or with lost mode enabled. Sure, you could set your passcode to something that’s so specific that a hacker would struggle to gain access, though that isn’t a guarantee that your information will remain secure if your iPhone is lost or stolen. Despite the passcode being something simple or more complex, all it usually takes is a few guesses for someone to be able to crack the code.
Today, thieves are much more accustomed to the patterns many iPhone users tend to stick to when creating their passcode, making it easier for them to gain access after just a few lucky tries. Nonetheless, there are a limited number of failed passcode attempts allowed before the phone locks up for a given amount of time.
Part 3. How to Unlock iPhone Lost Mode
Method 1. Unlock With Passcode
Usually someone can take a detour around the lost mode feature by entering the passcode used to access the iPhone, that is as long as the user has their lock screen set up with a passcode.
In any case where the phone does not have a passcode set up, the user will need to provide their current iCloud login information in order to give proof of their identity. In either of these circumstances, whether it be the use of a passcode or by accessing the iCloud, the phone will be unlocked and ready to use upon confirmed identification.
Method 2. Using TenorShare 4MeKey
TenorShare 4MeKey is a tool that can be accessed on the computer in order to remove the iCloud activation lock from an iPhone or iPad. This tool is good to use for when you’ve forgotten the password for the iCloud lock or for your Apple ID. To do so, follow these few easy steps:
Step 1. Connect the lost or stolen Apple device to a computer and ensure you have a secure enough connection.
Step 2. Select the “Start Jailbreak” option to begin the jailbreak process.
Step 3. Once the process has been completed, the iCloud activation lock should be removed, and the phone should be ready to use.
- Unlock iPhone lost mode without a password
- Remove Apple ID or the “Find My iPhone” app without needing the password
- Unlock the iPhone and quickly restore the device back to its factory settings
Method 3. Via Siri
Although it is possible to unlock an iPhone in lost mode with Siri, it does only work on certain models running iOS 10.3.2 and 10.3.3 due to these systems consisting of a loophole for security.
Step 1. Start up Siri by saying “Hey Siri”, followed by asking her a question about the time. This will bring up a pop-up of the clock.
Step 2. Tap on the clock and tap the “+”, which can be found at the top of the display.
Step 3. Once the search bar pops up, type a phrase into the search bar, then click the phrase you’ve typed to open the “options” tab.
Step 4. Choose the “select all” option before selecting the “share” button. Tapping share will open another pop-up where you’ll be able to choose the “message” option.
Step 5. In the message pop-up, type something into the space labeled “To” and tap the backspace button on the keyboard.
Step 6. When the text you’ve typed has been highlighted in green, tap the “+” button and create a new contact.
Step 7. Tap on the photo icon to add a photo to your new contact. After you’ve clicked “choose photo”, you’ll be taken to your gallery.
Step 8. Once in the gallery, simply press the home screen button on your iPhone to return to the home screen. Now, your phone should be unlocked and ready to use.
- Perfect for users with little knowledge of the iPhones settings
- Unlock lost or stolen iPhone without passcode or computer
- Process does not require users to involve any third-party apps
- Process only works on iPhones running on iOS versions 10.3.2 and 10.3.3
- Much more complex process
- Time-consuming process
Method 4. Via Recovery Mode
If your iPhone is lost or stolen, using recovery mode is the best way to either restore your data and information or to repair other aspects of the iPhones system.
While this process is available for all iPhone models, the steps to get the phone into recovery mode vary depending on the model.
Step 1. Connect the lost iPhone to a computer by using a USB cable cord.
Step 2. You’ll need to put the phone, or other Apple device, into recovery mode. This process varies depending on the iPhone model; refer to these steps on how to put your model into recovery mode:
- iPhone 6 and older models: Press the side buttons and the home button at the same time
- iPhone 7 models: Press and long hold the volume up and down buttons at the same time
- iPhone 8 and newer models: Press and quick release the volume up and down buttons one at a time, then press and long hold the side button
Step 3. Once you’ve entered recovery mode, you can search for your iPhone on iTunes.
Step 4. When you’ve found your device, tap the “restore” button to immediately erase your data.
- This process is easier in comparison to using Siri to unlock iPhones
- Process does not require the user to know much about the phones system to unlock the device this way
- This method can be used on any model iPhone regardless of the iOS version it’s running
- It requires Apple ID authentication when activating your iPhone
Method 5. From iCloud
One of the least common ways of unlocking lost mode on an iPhone is by using the iCloud; however, this method is still quite effective and it only requires a few quick steps.
Step 1. Visit www.icloud.com and login to your account using your current Apple ID and password.
Step 2. Find the “Find My iPhone” option and choose all of the devices in the settings.
Step 3. Choose whichever device is currently set up in lost mode and tap the “Lost Mode” button.
Step 4. Tap on the “Stop Lost Mode” button to stop unlock mode on the iPhone.
Step 5. Once it’s done loading, confirm the completed process by tapping the “Stop Lost Mode” button once more. Now, the iPhone should be unlocked and ready to use.
- Super quick and easy method
- Entirely free process to use
- Apple ID and password are required.
Part 4. What Does Lost Mode Do on iPhone?
If you happen to lose any of your Apple products, such as iPhone, Apple Watch, Mac, iPad, etc, turning on the lost mode feature will be highly beneficial. Turning on lost mode will lock your iPhone in order to keep your data and personal information protected from thieves. It will also put a lock on any digital payment methods you may have set up.
Additionally, having lost mode turned on allows the owner to track the location of their lost device and have a customizable message set to display on the lock screen of the device. When you enable lost mode, you’ll receive an email of confirmation at the same email used for your Apple ID. Notifications will not appear on the lost device; calls and Facetime calls will though.
Part 5. What to Do if Your iPhone is Lost?
If you happen to lose your iPhone, or it gets stolen, there are a number of things you can and should do to keep your device, and yourself, protected.
- Using the “Find My iPhone” app, look and see if you can locate the area your lost device is in.
- Using the lost mode feature, mark your device as “lost”. You should also create a custom message to be displayed on the lock screen, such as “Lost phone, if found please call – (insert phone number here)”.
- Report your device as missing to your local law enforcement.
- Begin to file for a Theft and Loss claim for the device with AppleCare+, if your device is covered.
- Go through the steps of having your device erased from the Find My iPhone app.
- Contact the wireless carrier you have through your device.
- Go to appleid.apple.com to remove your device for your Apple account.
So, can someone unlock your lost iPhone if the lost mode feature is enabled?
Yes, they absolutely can; however, there are many ways that the lost mode feature can help the owner find their device easier as well. It is my hope that this guide has provided you with enough information to better handle the situation if your iPhone does in fact go missing.