If you are an iPhone user and own a pair of AirPods, you may have encountered a problem: The AirPods work fine, but there’s no sound coming out of them when connected to your device.
Don’t worry – you’re not the only one. Several people have reported a similar issue with their AirPods.
Fortunately, there are some quick fixes for this issue. Learn how to fix the no sound issue with your AirPods so you won’t have to be frustrated when you can’t listen to your favorite song or make an important call.
Why Are My AirPods Connected but No Sound?
If your AirPods are connected but not playing, it’s likely due to one of the following reasons:
- Debris or wax has built up in the tiny speaker and microphone ports of your AirPods. Clean your AirPods with a soft cloth to eliminate any dirt blockages.
- There’s a network error with your device. Reset the network settings of your device and try to connect your AirPods again.
- Your AirPods are on low charge or have no charge. Connect them to the charging case and charge them for a few minutes.
- The AirPods are not actually connected to your device. Confirm that the AirPods are connected to your iOS device.
- A bug from your device’s software may be causing the no sound issue. Update the firmware of your iOS device.
- There’s a bug or glitch with your device. Factory reset the device after backing up its files.
- The auto ear detection feature is malfunctioning. Deactivate then active auto ear detection on your iOS device.
- The volume of your device is at the lower limit. Adjust the volume limit of your device accordingly.
How to Fix AirPods Connected but No Sound
Here are 12 easy and ultimate fixes for AirPods that connect to your device but produce no sound.
1. Clean Your AirPods
If you’re experiencing a no sound issue with your AirPods, the first thing you should try is a simple cleaning. Debris or wax can build up in the tiny speaker and microphone ports over time, causing sound issues.
To clean your AirPods, use a soft, dry cloth to wipe off any debris. If there is wax on the AirPods or in the charging case, you can use a cotton swab dipped in warm water and gentle soap.
Be sure to dry them off completely before putting them back in the charging case.
2. Charge your AirPods
If your AirPods are on low or no charge, they may not play even if they’re successfully connected to your iOS device. In this regard, you need to charge them by following these steps:
1. Open the AirPods case.
2. Place the AirPods near the charging mat, with the front of the AirPods facing up.
3. The charging light on the front of the charging mat will turn from white to green, and a sound will indicate that the AirPods are charging.
4. If the AirPods were on low or had no charge, leave them to charge for around 30 minutes.
5. Remove the AirPods from the case, pair them with your device and check if the no sound problem is gone. If not, repeat the charging process and confirm one more time.
6. If the sound is not back even after charging the AirPods for another round, proceed to the fixes below.
3. Confirm the AirPods are Connected to Your Device
If you are experiencing the no sound problem with your AirPods, you need to confirm if for sure your AirPods are connected to your device.
To verify this, open the AirPods case and check that the LED light on the back of the case is blinking amber. If the light is not flashing amber, please follow the instructions below to connect your AirPods to your device:
1. With an iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad, or iPod touch, you can use the charging case to connect to your device.
To do so, open the lid and place your iPhone near the back. The AirPods will automatically connect.
2. If you confirm that your AirPods are actually connected to your iOS device, but no sound still comes from them, check if they’re other Bluetooth devices connected to your iOS device.
Go to Settings, Click Bluetooth and check all the Bluetooth devices connected. To disconnect all the connected devices, toggle the Bluetooth button from green to gray.
4. Reset the AirPods
If you’re having trouble with your AirPods, you can as well try a reset.
Before resetting your AirPods, you need to first forget or unpair the connected device. Here’s the process to follow for this:
1. On your Apple device, open the Settings app.
2. Tap Bluetooth.
3. Tap on the “i” next to your AirPods.
4. Tap Forget this Device.
5. Tap Forget Device in the pop-up menu.
6. Confirm by tapping Forget Device again.
Here is how to reset your AirPods:
1. Make sure your AirPods are charged.
2. Put your AirPods in the charging case.
3. Hold down the back button on the case until the light starts flashing white.
4. Release the button and wait until the light turns solid green.
Try reconnecting your AirPods to your iOS after you’ve reset them, and see if the sound is back. Should that not work, check out the fixes below.
5. Reset Network Settings
If you’re still unable to hear anything from your AirPods, try resetting your iOS device’s network settings.
Please note: When you reset your device’s network settings, all the call settings, WiFi networks, and Bluetooth devices that you’ve previously connected to your device are removed. This includes any networks or devices you’ve connected to in the past, even if you’re no longer using them.
If you’re having a no-sound problem with your AirPod, the good news is that a network reset may solve the problem.
In order to reset your iOS device’s network settings, follow this process:
1. Open the Settings app.
2. Tap General.
3. Scroll down and tap Reset.
4. Tap Reset Network Settings.
5. Enter your passcode (if required).
After the reset, pair your AirPods again and check if the sound issue is gone. If you still can’t get any sound from your AirPods, worry not, as we have more hacks for you below.
6. Update your Device Firmware
For you to get the best performance out of your AirPods, it’s essential to keep your phone updated to the latest iOS software. Apple is constantly releasing updates with bug fixes and improvements, so make sure you install them as soon as they become available.
Before beginning the update process, you will need to make sure that your device is compatible with the latest iOS firmware and has enough available storage space to download and install the update.
To update your iOS firmware:
1. Connect your device to a power source and make sure it is connected to the internet.
2. Open Settings and tap on General.
3. Tap on Software Update.
4. Tap on Download and Install.
When there’s a new update for the accessory, your AirPods should automatically update as long as the paired device is on a WiFi connection.
If this doesn’t happen automatically, you can check for the latest firmware update and download then install it manually.
7. Activate/Deactivate Auto Ear Detection
The auto ear detection feature is supposed to automatically pause the audio from your AirPods if it detects that you’ve taken them out of your ears and play when you put them back. This feature can sometimes malfunction, causing issues with your AirPods.
To activate this feature, open the Settings app on your iPhone and tap “Bluetooth.” Scroll down and tap “AirPods.” Toggle the switch next to “Auto Ear Detection” to the “On” position.
To deactivate this feature, follow the same steps as above, but toggle the switch to the “Off” position instead.
To check if this feature causes the no sound issue on your AirPods, toggle it off and then on and check if the issue is resolved or not.
8. Adjust the Volume of your AirPods
If the volume on your AirPods is too low, you may have difficulty hearing sounds even if they are successfully connected. To increase the volume on your AirPods, follow these steps:
1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
2. Tap Bluetooth.
3. Tap the AirPods in the list of devices.
4. Toggle the Volume Limit switch to On.
5. Drag the slider to increase the volume.
6. Tap the Balance section and keep the toggle in the middle to ensure that both AirPods get similar sounds from your device.
After these adjustments, pair your AirPods with your device and check if the problem is gone.
9. Check the Volume Limit of your Device
iOS devices have a volume limit setting that’ll prevent the device from playing audio at a high volume for an extended period. Typically, the volume limit feature is turned off. If you switch on the volume limit of your iOS device, you may experience sound issues with your AirPods.
It’s important to check this feature if you are experiencing issues with your AirPods since they won’t produce any sound if the volume is set to the lower limit.
If you’re wondering how to check/change the volume limit of your iOS device, it’s really quite simple. Just follow these steps:
1. Go to “Settings” and tap on “Music”
2. Under the “Volume Limit” section, you’ll see the maximum volume for your device
3. You can adjust this limit by tapping on the “Set Limit” button and then dragging the slider to the desired level
10. Restart your iOS Device
If all the fixes provide no solution, then restarting your iOS may help solve the no sound problem with your AirPods. Follow the following straightforward steps to restart your device:
1. Hold the Sleep/Wake button until you see the red slider appear.
2. Move the slider to switch off the device.
3. After turning off your device, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears.
4. Release the Sleep/Wake button and wait for your device to start up.
11. Factory Reset your iOS Device
As a last resort on your end, you can factory reset your device to eliminate any bug that may be causing the no sound issue on your AirPods.
Before a factory reset, you need to back up your device. So in the event of a failed reset, you’ll want to have a backup of your data.
To back up your device, go to Settings > iCloud > Backup. Make sure iCloud Backup is turned on, and that your device is connected to a WiFi network.
If you have an iTunes account, you can also back up your device by connecting it to your computer and selecting Back Up Now.
To reset your device, go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase all Content and Settings > Confirm.
12. Contact Apple Support
If nothing works to solve the no sound problem on your AirPods, the very last option for you is to contact Apple Support.
Your local Apple Support team will take a look at your AirPods for free and try to diagnose the problem. If they can’t fix it, they might be able to replace them.
Just bring your AirPods and charging case into the store and tell the team what’s going on.
Please note: whether your AirPods will be fixed, replaced, or not depends on your warranty status.
FAQs About AirPods Connected but Not Playing
My AirPods connected but sound coming from phone speaker, what to do?
In this case, you need to reconnect your AirPods.
1. Turn off Bluetooth.
2. Turn back on Bluetooth, and tap on the info icon behind your AirPods.
3. Tap on Forget This Device.
4. Then re-conenct your AirPods to your iPhone.
AirPods connected but no sound Windows 11/10, what to do?
The reason why your AirPods are connected to a Windows computer but have no sound is that the default audio device is set to something else. You need to change the de default audio device.
If it doesn’t work, check the Windows official guide to troubleshoot.
AirPods say connected but no sound Macbook?
In this case, you need to,
1. Turn off the Bluetooth of your Mac and then turn it on.
2. Remove your AirPods from your Mac by clicking on the “X” behind your AirPods.
3. Wait for several seconds to reconnect your AirPods to your Mac.
4. Play some music to check if the AirPods work.
AirPods say connected but no sound Android?
You need to disable the Bluetooth and then enable it. Try to re-connect your AirPods to your Android device again to see if the issue is resolved.
Since AirPods were released, there have been numerous complaints about the connected but no sound problem. However, the issue isn’t that serious.
In this guide, we’ve discussed all the possible solutions you will need, and we believe that with a little effort, you will be able to get your AirPods working the way they should.
In addition to fixing your iPhone, these methods will also help you with other Apple devices, such as iPod, iPad, and Apple Watch, so be sure to give them a try.