Carriers have implemented network locks on mobile phones that they provide for a long time, and they show no sign of stopping this practice. For most people, it’s not a huge deal, but there are lots of us who like to switch between carriers and get the best phone plans possible.
If you’re on Verizon and have a phone with a carrier lock, keep reading. We’ll walk you through what you need to know in order to unlock Verizon phone, and all the important details to keep in mind.
- Part 1. 4 Common Questions You Should Never Miss
- Part 2. An Important Thing You Need to Know before Unlock
- Part 3. Top 2 Ways for Your to Unlock
Part 1. FAQs About Verizon iPhone Unlock
There are often individuals who don’t have a complete understanding of what carrier locks do, so here are some FAQs to improve your own understanding.
1.1 Why should I unlock my Verizon iPhone?
The most common question we receive is “why should I go through the hassle of unlocking my iPhone?”, and there are 4 key reasons for doing so:
- You’ll be able to connect your iPhone to any carrier
- You can choose any phone plan you like, not just from a single carrier
- You can make changes to your iPhone that a carrier lock usually prohibits
- You can sell old iPhones for more money if they are unlocked
These should be reason enough to go ahead and unlock Verizon iPhone.
1.2 Are Verizon iPhones unlocked?
No. The Verizon iPhone comes with a carrier lock, you’ll have to use for a period of time before unlocking it.
1.3 How do I know if my Verizon iPhone is unlocked?
Another question we get is how people can check if their iPhone is actually locked. After all, you don’t want to go through the trouble of Verizon iPhone unlock only to discover it was already unlocked in the first place.
The process is really simple. Just take out your Verizon SIM card, insert a SIM card from a different carrier (e.g. Sprint or T-Mobile), and check if it works. If you’re able to send texts and make phone calls, the phone is already unlocked.
Except that, you can also check if iPhone is locked without SIM card by using a reliable iPhone IMEI Carrier Checker. You will also know the Blacklist status of your iPhone after checking, this is very important because a Blacklisted iPhone is very difficult to unlock.
1.4 Any Requirements to Unlock Verizon iPhone?
And the final question we get, what requirements are there for unlocking an iPhone? This differs for each person depending on the type of plan you’re paying for.
- Postpay iPhone. iPhone is locked for the first 60 days of ownership. Once the 60 days are over, the unlock is automatically processed.
- Prepaid iPhone. Just like Postpay iPhones, Prepaid iPhones are locked for the initial 60 days. After this time is up, the lock is removed.
- Deployed Military Personnel. Regardless of how long you have had the iPhone, Verizon will remove the carrier lock for you. This includes within the initial 60 days of ownership.
Part 2. Before Unlocking a Verizon iPhone – You Should Never Miss!
After you have the answers to your questions, we can move onto preparing you to unlock Verizon iPhone. There is an important thing you must do before getting on with the rest of the process.
2.1 Check with the New Carrier for iPhone Compatibility
To briefly touch on a carrier concept, there are two types of technology that carriers use for their network’s infrastructure. CDMA and GSM are the two types.
Verizon falls into the group of CDMA carriers whereas other carriers like AT&T is a GSM carrier. In some cases, a device that was originally on a CDMA network may not be compatible with a GSM network even after unlocking.
Modern devices typically don’t have this roadblock. Nonetheless, it’s worth checking if the carrier you plan on switching to will support your device after your Verizon iPhone unlock.
2.2 Available Options for iPhone Models
Here are the options for you to check if your specific iPhone model supports the carrier you plan to move to. To save you some trouble, here’s a quick breakdown of the iPhone models for you:
- iPhone 11/Pro/Max, iPhone XS/Max: Compatible with Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, and T-Mobile.
- iPhone XR: Compatible with Verizon (only LTE, not 3G), Sprint, AT&T, and T-Mobile.
- iPhone X: Compatible with Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, and T-Mobile (except one LTE band).
- iPhone 8/8 Plus: Compatible with Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, and T-Mobile (except one LTE band).
- iPhone 7/7 Plus: Compatible with Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, and T-Mobile (except two LTE bands).
For most people, there will be absolutely no issues with moving to a new carrier. In just a couple of situations, such as if the appropriate band isn’t available, your decision may be limited. But this is very rare.
The above we listed are just the top 4 carriers in the US, if you want to switch your Verizon iPhone to a different network or different country, just confirm with the carrier.
Part 3. How to Unlock Verizon iPhone 12 / 11 / XS / XR / X / 8 / 7 / 6S / 6 / 5?
The next stage of the Verizon unlock iPhone process is to choose your preferred method. We’ve got 2 that you can choose from.
3.1 Contact Customer Services (Free but 7 Business Days)
Although we don’t feel as though this is the best solution, you can request an unlock code from Verizon’s customer service team.
The reason we prefer other solutions is that this can take up to 7 days to be processed, and sometimes even longer. Some carriers go a step further and add an expensive unlock fee. Even so, follow these steps.
Step 1 – Call the Verizon support team on *611 and say the words “Carrier Unlock” after your problem is requested.
Step 2 – After you are connected to a support representative, explain that you want to unlock your iPhone from the Verizon network.
Step 3 – Provide the information that the representative requests. This will include details such as your email address, the iPhone model, and the device’s IMEI number.
Step 4 – Once they have begun processing your request, it will take up to 7 days before you are emailed that the unlock was successful.
After the week is up and you’ve got the confirmation, you can replace the SIM card with that from another carrier.
3.2 Using a Verizon iPhone Unlock Service (within 24 hrs)
Moving on to our preferred solution, you can use a carrier unlocking service. There is a selection of unlocking services but our favorite is DirectUnlocks, and here’s why:
- Permanently unlocks iPhones from any network
- Supports any iPhone model (including the most recent iPhone 12 models)
- Unlocking your iPhone with DirectUnlocks will not void your warranty
- If the unlock is unsuccessful then you will receive your payment back
- Easy unlock process, users just have to provide the device’s IMEI number (no software installation needed)
- Fast unlocking process in less than 24 hours
To us, this list makes it clear that to unlock Verizon iPhone, DirectUnlocks is the best service available to users. If you want to take this route, simply follow the short step-by-step below.
Step 1 – Go to DirectUnlocks Verizon iPhone Unlock page and select the iPhone model you have.`
Step 2 – Choose the country you are based in and the Verizon network using the lists provided.
Step 3 – Enter your iPhone’s IMEI number which you can find by calling *#06#. Click “Continue” to proceed.
Step 4 – Verify all of your order details and submit.
After you’re done with this, within the next 24 hours you’ll have an unlocked iPhone like this:
Then you’ll be free to go to the network that you want.
Except DirectUnlocks, we also tested ExpressUnlocks, it can also unlock a verizon iPhone.
That wraps up our guide on how you can unlock Verizon iPhone. Now you should have all of your questions answered and have a better idea of what steps you should take if you intend on unlocking your iPhone from the carrier. You can use the methods above to unlock any iPhone from virtually any network, not just Verizon.
More so, DirectUnlocks is capable of unlocking any iPhone from any network too, so be sure to check it out for the quickest and best results!